Wednesday, April 24, 2013

New Adventure


Over the last couple years my wife has enjoyed doing some low key adventure racing.  Just some local 12 hours races not like the insane ones you see on TV.  This weekend will be my first endeavor to that completely different type of endurance racing.

Lucky for me this race only includes disciplines I can handle.  There is no rock climbing, traversing or rappelling from dizzying heights.  Just canoeing, mountain biking (that I can handle) and trekking.  Each area requires you to orienteer using UTM coordinates.  This is something completely new for me.  I am used to navigating with cue sheets or maps but not coordinates and a compass.  Should be interesting on the water and in the woods.  When you have to follow roads on a map I am good to go.

The event we are doing is the Boone Crusher and takes place in Boone Iowa.  The location is handy since our oldest son lives in Boone and we can hang out with him the night before and stay at his house.  Connie and I have been trying to get out on our mountain bikes once a week but have not been able to ride any trails with all the rainy weather we have been having.  Hopefully the trails at Boone will be too muddy as well and they will keep us on the gravel roads.

My wife and I love watching The Amazing Race reality show and this will give us our own little version.  Hopefully we can get along and just enjoy a day of wandering around the country side without getting on each others nerves.  It should be a good time.  I will post some pictures and video next week.

No comments: