Thursday, April 11, 2013

What to wear?

When venturing out for a ride, this time of year, the decision should be whether to wear long sleeves, short sleeves or sleeveless.  Instead this month it has been whether to wear insulated winter riding boots, shoes with covers or just shoes.  There is something wrong with this picture.

The Tuesday night 6:00 PM group ride was a classic Iowa spring ride.  I got off work at 3:00 and it was 77 degrees with the forecasted temperatures to be in the mid 60's by the time I got done riding at 8:00.  Winds were to be SSW at 10.  Great night for a long pre-ride before the group ride.

I headed out in shorts and short sleeves only to notice the wind was NE.  Strange, but no problem I will just head towards Wilton and then back to the shop by 6:00.  I had only gone a mile when the chill was not going away.  I flicked my bike computer to the temperature and noticed it said 69 degrees.  Thinking to myself it would not get any warmer I turned back home and grabbed a pair of sleeves.  That took the chill off and away I went.

Once to Wilton I noticed the wind was more North and my computer was showing 63 degrees.  At that point I decided to swing by home and pick up a pair of riding gloves since my hands were a little chilly.  No need for full finger gloves just a little something to take the edge off.

At home grabbed the gloves and my wife asked if I needed a hat or some long finger gloves.  I decided to carry the gloves just in case.  After all she said "they are free to take".  Out I went, with a tail wind, to meet the group.

I arrived to find eight riders at the shop all wondering what the heck happened to the 70 degree temperatures.  Most of us with long sleeves and shorts.  A few smarter ones with knickers or knee warmers and only two with any type of jacket.  The teenager was bare arms and legs.  Ah youth.

As we left town the cold northerly cross wind was blowing strong enough that keeping the group together was almost impossible.  We finally settled in and made our way through the wind to Moscow.  Tail wind time.

The anticipated tail wind had enough cross wind in it that drafting was very tough.  As we returned to town my computer said 52 degrees.  Heading back to the shop Greg complained about it being 52.  I replied "hey, it's 52 degrees.  Last week this would have been a great day."  The problem was not the 52 degrees but the fact we were dressed for 70. I was really glad I had my long finger gloves for the 50 degree ride home. 

It will be interesting to see what next Tuesday brings.  50,60,70 maybe 80.  All I know is I will have my long finger gloves in my pocket just in case.

No comments: